Sunday, March 8, 2015

1.1.1 Definitions of Communication


I couldn't agree more with Sherry Turkle's message. We tend to overuse digital technology to feel connected to each other when, in reality, this is causing the opposite effect. As innovations in technology have evolved, my individual communication skills have certainly changed progressively. In the work environment, written communication has become the main means of sharing information and ideas. As a result, my written communication skills are now more polished. I have also learned how to use word economy to make my writing more effective when presenting my ideas.

Advancements in technology have also altered classroom communication, and it's predictable that future innovations will continue to change classroom communication further. The influence of social media is very present in the academic setting. In my online classroom, I am very vigilant and constantly monitor that my students follow netiquette rules when communicating with each other and with me. In my opinion, it is essential that students understand the parallel between a physical classroom environment and a virtual classroom environment. In fact, the core rules of netiquette from the book Netiquette by Virginia Shea can be interpreted as classroom expectations or classroom rules. There are certain behaviors that are expected and other behaviors that are not acceptable in an academic environment, physical or virtual. It is for this reason that, as mobile and social media continue to grow, netiquette should be enforced in online instruction through establishing clear expectations as well as consequences for infractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment